Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Wisconsin River

Last weekend we explored a sandy path that stretches along the edge of the Wisconsin River. It was a beautiful sunny evening; The snow had melted away and all that was left were cool sandy hills and tufts of tall golden grasses, waving in the breeze.

The river has this way of making you forget about what should be forgotten and remember what should be remembered. Stories abound. Laughter echos. Smiles glow. Rigid emotions surrender and are replaced by the warmth of those that are calm.
This photo was taken in the town I live in. There are many, many days that I long for a house in Madison. A house that's close enough to host a last minute dinner party for my friends. One that lets me walk to my favorite coffee shops and restaurants or allows me ride my bike to work. A base camp for the nights I want to go out after work but have to come all the way home first just to turn back around a few hours later.


When I look at the photo, I can't help but to ask myself why I'd want to leave. The views here are gorgeous. Sure, they're not the mountains or the ocean, but it's what we have and what we have is quite striking. Our house felt like home from the minute we walked through the doors. The neighborhood is quiet. Right now the only thing I can hear over the tick of the clock is a Mourning Dove. That's it. Nothing else.

But still, again and again, I find myself yearning for the day when we live near a decent grocery store. And in all honesty, it's thoughts like this that have made me feel unattached and distant from the thought of living here. Right now I just stay here. I haven't been able to connect with my house as much as I'd wish because I don't feel like I need to be here. It's more like I'm always trying to escape; to go to Madison to do fun things. I live there more than I live here, and it really started to bother me.


And so, last night I took the first step towards feeling like I have a sense of living here. I wish I could tell you what it is...and I suppose I could tell you what it is. But not yet. Not until it's official.


I'll come back with pictures when it's time. Goal #2 of 2012 is about to get a nice red line penned through it...I'll show you my list sometime.



1 comment:

Hollie Joy In The Morning said...

new followe thanks to green cricket:)hollie