Thursday, July 19, 2012

Violin Mantis

I just snailed my way across 3 days off and what do I have to show for it? Well, not much art stuff...but I did get some garden projects moving along and some house cleaning and exterior paint sampling done. And, of course, I am still undecided on the color. I'm thinking about mixing Sherwin Williams Messenger Bag with Olive Grove but I haven't tried it yet. I'll be back with the full report once I've decided...I only have like 24 hours left before their super-mega sale starts, meaning that I really need to reel it in and PICK ONE already.

In other news, my camera has officially died. Thanks for helping that along, Clem. You're a peach. Well...actually....you're a Clementine but you can be a peach for today. Anyway, if you've followed the blog for more than a year or so, you'll remember that I've talked about replacing the camera for a good 3-4 years now. Just one of those things I guess...I have bought 2 and returned both because I didn't like them even though they had stellar reviews. I think I tried Sony and Nikon. I guess I'll stick to what I know and stay friends with Canon, but until I move forward with that quest, here's a crappy scratched-lens-camera-phone shot:




This is 1 of 4 in my insect series. Although, neither 2 3 or 4 exist yet, so I may be stretching the truth a bit. I don't know. The letters aren't glued down, I just cut them out this morning. In case you ever need to calm down and chill out, you should try cutting letters out of book pages...it's a lot like gardening but not as strenuous or dirty and you don't need a wheelbarrow or a shovel. So maybe it's not like gardening. My point is that it's very calming and you should try it sometime.

So yeah. I'm not sure if I want to add anything above the words or not. Thoughts? I have a hard time stopping when there is still blank space, but I'm trying to challenge myself here. Ugh, speaking of challenges, the other thing that I'm having a *really* hard time with is pricing. I have never, ever had a hard time with this before, but I was always under the "I want people like ME to be able to afford my stuff....people who don't have a ton of extra cash." But the problem is that after 10 people tell you that you're underselling yourself, it becomes a little more difficult. And...I'm not going to have the internet barrier to protect me at this show thing. So we'll see what happens. Oh. I should also point out that this mantis piece is my biggest one yet...I think it's like 26 x 30 or something.

Okay, well that's all for now. I should start getting ready for work. Only a high of 82 today, and after the pattern of 100+ degree days, I'm about ready to wear some jeans. Hope you're all doing well...talk soon. Oh yeah- T-minus 51 days. Eff.

1 comment:

kate said...

I really hope you're planning to document this show once it's installed because I'm dying to see it all together! Looks great so far!

In terms of pricing...

Pricing is something that I think everyone struggles with at first. I used to own a brick and mortar shop selling handmade goods and art, and the biggest struggle I had was pricing my own work. And then I had every artist and crafter asking me for tips on how to price THEIR work. It's tough. I tend to underprice, just because, like you, I want people like me to be able to afford things. So, my rule is this:

Make sure you cover the costs of your supplies, add a little more on for your time, and then think about the number you've come up with. Is it too low based on the size of the piece and the amount of attachment you have to it? If so, add a little more. If not, let it go. You'd be surprised at how many people will actually approach you and complain that your prices are TOO LOW! That was a regular thing in my shop...never thought I'd see that happen, but it did. The way I see it, if people see low prices, they're more apt to buy more than one item. And that happens. A lot. WIN!

I guess what I'm trying to get at here is to price things as low as possible so people will be able to buy your work (and more of it), but not so low that you're not making a profit. Make sense? Once you start doing it, it'll be much easier for you.