Tuesday, August 22, 2006

watercolors, anyone?

im thinking about messing around with watercolor again. i took a painting class in highschool, but i dont remember much at all about watercolor. i just remember i liked it, and i always wanted to get a watercolor set. SOOO, im asking you guys- whats a good set to start out with? should i just go to hobby lobby and pick something in the mid price range from the ones on the shelf? or is there a certain brand i should look for...i dont know, any info would be great!

3 comments:

shelby said...

I love watercolors! and though I can't paint to save my life (ok, maybe for that) my husband is an excellent painter. And we did just that a couple weeks ago (pick up something mid range at hobby lobby) and he made some watercolors of our dogs. I'll try to photograph them and post them this weekend.

lisa s said...

if you want to be able to re-wet them ... i suggest the pan kind - not the tube kind. apparently when you re-wet the tube kind they break down and can underbind to your paper ...

i also like guoache... a bit more opaque... and you can mix the two....

have fun!!

Anna said...

Windsor and Newtons are a great brand! My mum bought me a set of them in tube. You can also get them in little cakes. The tubes get a better result.