Monday, June 06, 2011

My Latest Adventures in Art

Hey yo! How was your weekend? Mine was decent. I worked on Saturday and Sunday and then last night I realized that I work the next 4 days as well. Ugh, not exactly what I was hoping to see in the schedule book, but that's okay. I was accidentally scheduled for 5 days this week rather than 4, but as soon as I have some time off I am thinking about starting a new art series...among the other 12 projects I have going on. Oy. I love when I don't have to work and I can just stay at home and enjoy the peace and quiet offered by living in a small town.


Joe made this block print 3 or 4 years ago and I have used it in multiple mixed media pieces. I recently cropped one of my photos down to just this image for my facebook photo, and it gave me idea that I should make a mega-sized piece out of it. Like, 18x24 or maybe even 24x36. Of course, at that size it would no longer be a block print, but I was toying around with the idea of a stencil. I feel that there's a quite a void in the availability of large, affordable pieces and I'm on a mission to help fill it in. My studio is going through an overhaul right now to allow for bigger and better ideas, and I am going to work on the area for an hour or so before I head to work today. Maybe I'll have it finished the next time you visit. Probably not, though...


And while we're on the topic- do any of you ever feel weird referring to your creations as "art"? I have a really hard time with it myself, because to me I'm not really an artist. More of a creator. And the pieces that I make seem to be more worthy of being called "designs" rather than "art". Of course, if I was great at drawing or painting or something, then I'd consider the "art" tag to be more appropriate. Hmm.

2 comments:

kate said...

Okay, so I know I'm taking a big risk here in making myself sound like an incredible stalker, but I have to admit that I just spent my entire last week reading your blog from beginning to end. I. Love. It. I've read it in bits and pieces, sneaking away when I had the chance, staying up late and getting a few months in at a time. So, so great!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for creating such a wonderful and inspirational space. I've been blogging for a few years now and reading yours over these last several days makes me want to be a better blogger (I've been consumed by house projects lately and I'm slacking), a better homemaker and, if nothing else, lights the fire under my ass to start making more stuff!

Thanks again! I'm sure to be a loyal reader for as long as you can keep it going! You rock!

Erin Lang Norris said...

Wow! Thank you so, so much, Kate. You really made my day. Okay, to be completely honest, I did lose a bit of sleep over it because I was checking emails at midnight and was soon on cloud 9. ;)

Haha, I was sitting there wondering what kind of things are buried deep within the years of this blog and then I realized that I probably don't want to know!

But thank YOU for inspiring me to keep going. I can't wait to stop by your blog and see what kind of house projects you are up to. Admittedly, I don't get nearly as much done as I'd like to and I feel like this blog is nothing compared to many others that I read. But then I realize that most of these people either have a) lots of money or b) lots of time, and I remind myself that things are always slower going when you don't have those luxuries. At any rate, I'm glad you have enjoyed it and I'm excited to see that you stuck around and pressed through all the duller moments of my life. ;)