Monday, March 07, 2011

Monday Morning

My apologies for the lack of content lately. I've been working a bunch (okay- only full time but to me that's a bunch when my "to make" list is piling higher than my amount of time allows for creating) so there hasn't been much worth writing about. But I think I might have something now.


Joe and I have a pretty strong need for a shed in our backyard, but our budget will probably top out at about $400 or less. Translation? Well, the Magic 8 Ball says "better luck next time". 


But last night I came to my senses and realized that I was over-thinking it all. While I'm generally a "high-quality or nothing" kind of girl, fortunately there are loopholes in the system. 


I asked myself why there was a need to build a solid structure that would last a lifetime. I mean, really- as quickly as I seem to tire of things, I think it's okay to have something that won't necessarily be standing when I'm 60. As long as it has a solid roof, I'm fine with it being more of a quirky shack than a typical shed. 


My inspiration? This photo that I stumbled across last night:
From the flickr stream of lisa temple-cox.


Isn't it sweet? If I made a shed like this, I would be able to add things to it whenever I found something new (old). It got me thinking about Wabi-sabi, which has been a huge help in getting me through my perfectionistic processes. Read up on it if you are an artist or a creator of any kind- I think you'll enjoy the subject immensely. I've found it to be a huge help.

So yes. After I saw that shed, I wanted to see more.





































Ideally, I would like my shed to have a corrugated metal roof, kind of like the one pictured above (found at Debra Prinzing's Blog). I'm seeking approval from my neighbors during the next hail storm, ya know? Heehee. Whatever. I let them aimlessly shoot their guns at trees, so they should have no problems with the sky pelting my roof once in awhile. 


So um, this is probably just about the coolest thing I've ever seen. I found it at Aurora Suzette's website. Neat, right? So very charming...it reminds me of something you'd see out East.




































Another really great photo, this shed was built from salvaged materials as well. Read the interview here if you have a few minutes. 

I could go on and on. This is a great solution for us and I can't wait to start collecting materials! Once I come up with a rough plan, I will create a budget (I'm hoping to top out at $200) and go shopping. The garage is about 200+ feet away from most of our gardens, so it will be nice to have a shovel when I need it rather than walking back and forth so much. I'll keep you posted on project progress, of course.

No comments: