Saturday, March 19, 2011

Plants

I got the day off today because we were supposed to hang out with some friends who were coming in from out of town, but they had to cancel. I was still happy to have a Saturday off, though! Something that I don't usually get to enjoy.

We started the day by going to a local garden store, where Joe spied this gigantic Staghorn Fern. 





































He really liked it so I made him pick out a small one, even though it's a different variety. It's about time he had his own plant already. I asked him what he was going to name it..."Jethro." I thought it was pretty much perfect. I also picked up a new baby tears plant but swooned over these awesome mini baby tears hanging plants they had, which were actually not at all mini...they were huge and looked like Cousin It. I'm getting one soon.
Today was about 55 degrees out, which is the warmest it's been so far this year in Wisconsin. Since I was feeling in a spring-like mood, I wore my new mushroom t-shirt, which I love. PS: this is one of my favorite areas of our home:





































We did some stuff outside for a bit & I was excited to be able to look into the windows rather than out of them for the first time since last fall. I wasn't excited to see Jada's branch that Moonshadow broke off the other day. I'm going to plant it & hope for the best, though.
I bought some seeds at the garden store and realized that I could plant my lettuce today, so I took advantage of our nice weather & got out my planting stuff.
I'm hoping that my lettuce is ready in time for Memorial Day- it would be nice to use in a salad when my family comes. We're expecting about 40 people to stay over that weekend!
While I was planting the tiny lettuce seeds, I started to think about how much I like doing things but also about how easy it is to waste a day online looking at beautiful photos and thinking about doing things. So here's to less thinking and more doing this spring & summer. I've got lots of ideas and I'm really excited to start working 4 days a week rather than 5 soon. 

This summer's to-do list:
+ solo canoe trips
+ start beekeeping
+ grow a garden
+ can our veggies
+ work on yard sculptures
+ learn to weld
+ write more
+ make lots of art
+ convince friends that they should drive all the way to my house
+ listen to records
+ play bass guitar
+ take a couple road trips
+ go to summer concerts
+ take more hikes in the rain
+ rummage sales
+ be happy to have a wonderful life with joe & kitties, a job i love and a house (that i still can't believe is ours).

1 comment:

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

I neeeeeeeeeeed to start my seeds. It's almost planting time since it's warmer down here. I guess I'll start a late garden, which I have done before + it's worked out, but I neeeeeeed to start those seeds!