Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Living Room Switcheroo

So about a month ago I talked about making a new media stand.

The one we had before is a dresser that my grandparents owned before they passed away.
It's one of my favorite pieces in the house, and I didn't really like the television being on it because of potential sagging.

The other reason was because the television was too high for comfortable viewing height.
The budget doesn't really allow for a new one or even something thrifted, so we used what we had on hand:

Wood that we tore down from the basement closet and one side of the bi-fold closet door.
Is it my favorite thing ever? Not really. But I don't hate it. I was pretty excited when I finished it, and I like it a lot more in person than in photo.

It's at a better viewing height, there is less weight on that side of our narrow living room, and my dresser is now in the guest room, getting ready to help that room along into it's makeover.
I'm not super thrilled with the art arrangement, but for now it's what I have and it needed something bigger than what was up before.

In case you're wondering, the print is by Cole Gerst.
And the other cool thing is that there is enough room for my Ny Rocking Chair, which I picked up second hand for $10 a few years ago. I need to get it recovered and refinish the arms, but I do love the chair. It took me a long time to figure out who the designer was, but I finally did thanks to this post on Design*Sponge. I was really excited to see it in DWR  a few years later for $450).

So where did the stereo & speakers go?
They took the place of the stuff in the photo above.

Aaaah, breath out...

Rather than fight the ugly speakers, I decided to embrace them.

So out came more Cole Gerst prints (i own 3) and a dresser given to us by Joe's aunt & uncle. I think the prints & vintage fan give it the vibe I was going for.

The speakers didn't go with the stuff that I had there before, and frankly I was getting cranky from my previous set up. It was like salt in my eyes. I hated the scale of the things against that wall and this morning I woke up and decided I had to change it. TODAY. It was just too dainty and farmhousey and beginning to lean little more toward the chic side of things than I care to venture. I'm really digging the more masculine look now.

I also redid the other side of the living room, but that's for tomorrow's post.

Whenever I start to realize that my inner dialogue is going in circles and I can't control the things going on in my life that are affecting my thoughts in a negative way, I rearrange my stuff. It works like a charm.

No comments: